Work with us
~ Prof. Mikko Möttönen
Chief Scientist, IQM
Scope: superconducting quantum circuits, two-qubit gates, qubit readout and quantum Control.
This role you are involved in deep, hands-on technical work in a focused, collaborative startup environment. You will be responsible for establishing and improving the measurement setup for our quantum bits, with primary focus on high-fidelity readout and control of single- and two-qubit gates. You will will also be guiding the technical direction of the research based on experimental results, with constant awareness towards company milestones. To fully shine in this senior position you have already experience in experimental quantum measurement techniques and quantum control, especially for quantum computing.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Hands on characterization and measurement of superconductor-based qubit and quantum devices.
- Collaborate with hardware and device fabrication teams to determine development path for a scalable superconducting quantum processor.
- Generate new and useful ideas that enable scalable measurement of quantum devices.
- Establishing lab best practices and protocols to ensure quality of work and the safety of all involved.
- PhD in Electrical engineering, Physics, Applied Physics or related field.
- 2+ years of experience in measurement of superconducting qubit devices at cryogenic temperatures.
- Understanding of advanced control electronics, including RF and microwave circuits, and FPGA based systems.
- Excellent communication (English, verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Keen experimental insight with an ability to devise and focus on key experiments.
- Experienced in programming languages like Python, Mathematica and MATLAB.
- Highly motivated, and excited by self-directed, hands-on work.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to new situations in a rapidly changing research environment.
- Strong teamwork and coaching skills.
You get to be a critical contributor in building and defining truly novel and groundbreaking new
technology – quantum computers. Software or IT focused specialists do not need to understand
quantum computation in their work, although willingness to learn is of course an advantage.
You are smart and get things done. You have solid programming and software design skills, and you
are an experienced software developer. You have participated in designing the architecture of
software systems. You have built backend services, and you know your way around relational and
non-relational databases. You have written Python code and want to work with Python. You know
HTTP. You keep your skills and knowledge fresh and are always eager to learn more.
You create elegant solutions amidst complexity. You know how to build new services from scratch
but are not afraid of diving deep into legacy codebases as well. You care deeply about building
quality in and keeping the internal and external quality of your applications high.
Your work at IQM includes hands-on programming, reviewing code, discussing design decisions,
testing, documenting etc. – the standard day-to-day work of any software team. Readiness for
teamwork and collaborating constructively with physicists and other engineers is key. We also
expect you to make sound technical decision that have a big impact on IQM’s success.
Further expectations for a lead developer
You have designed the architecture of numerous software systems, and you understand how to
balance current needs with future scalability and extensibility.
You take an active role in working out requirements and following up on existing features. You make
sure the individual components as well as their integration work as they should.
You lead by example and lift others. You create visibility and communicate clearly. You know which
discussions to facilitate and which to leave to happen on their own within the team. Your
contribution to technical decisions is valued by the whole organisation.